Follow Us On Facebook & Instagram: @smartstepscc
Smart Steps' infant, toddler and preschool programs use Frog Street, a curriculum aligned with MSDE's standards. Below, see information about each curriculum. Additional information can be found at www.frogstreet.com.
Designed around the latest scientific early brain development research, Frog Street Infant curriculum is designed to build strong foundations for little ones ages 0-18 months. This child-centered program includes easy-to-use activities that:
- Equip caregivers to nurture the little ones in their care.
- Optimize key windows of opportunity for growth and development.
- Are designed with intention and purpose and organized around developmental learning domains.
- Feature Dr. Becky Bailey’s Conscious Discipline® strategies to enhance social and emotional development.
Designed around the latest scientific early brain development research, this year-round program focuses on enhancing the simple joy of childhood while equipping caregivers to nurture curiosity through exploration. Frog Street Toddler, created by Dr. Pam Schiller, incorporates Dr. Becky Bailey’s Conscious Discipline® and includes 52 weeks of activity choices specifically created for children ages 18-36 months. Activity choices:
- Are organized around five developmental domains.
- Offer differentiated instruction options to meet the needs of all learners.
- Can be easily infused into daily routines, such as diaper changing, transitions, and outdoor play.
- Are designed with intention and purpose to move children forward in their development.
Frog Street Pre-K (FSPK) is a high quality, research-based curriculum organized into ten skills domains that support integration of curriculum and builds connections between and among all disciplines.
Highlights include innovations to produce measurable gains in student achievement:
- The authorship team of FSPK brings a wealth of expertise in the field of early childhood classroom experience, social and emotional intelligence, brain development, literacy, second language learning, STEM practices and cultural sensitivity to the instruction and materials in the curriculum. Led by senior author, Dr. Pam Schiller, the curriculum integrates content and embeds current research based best practices through instructional strategies.
- Another innovation is the inclusion of Conscious Discipline strategies to support social and emotional intelligence and, in turn, cognitive performance. FSPK is the sole curriculum integrating this proven program into the daily instruction.
- Differentiated learning strategies and materials for a full range of learners include grouping strategies and scaffolding. Adaptations for Young Learners Teacher Guide, exclusive to FSPK, is an additional teacher guide targeting literacy, math, and integrated learning centers for learners not ready for the four year old program.
- Instruction in FSPK supports multicultural relevancy with materials and resources for languages other than Spanish. Dr. Alma Flor Ada, senior author, includes the importance of developing the home language, acquiring literacy naturally and focuses on cultural sensitivity throughout the curriculum.
- Equality of materials and instruction in English and Spanish is a distinctive feature of FSPK including language sensitive adaptations and cultural sensitivity. Sensitivity to letter knowledge and, particularly, phonological awareness is evident in the sequence of instruction.
- English Language Learner instruction in FSPK incorporates research in second language acquisition with classroom strategies for the Natural Approach, Total Physical Approach and Cooperative Learning. Materials and resources include pronunciation keys for five languages, full color photographs and strategies at point of use for whole group, small group and learning center activities.
- FSPK features distinct home/school/community connections linked to thematic units and the scope and sequence. Dr. Patricia Edwards, author and past IRA President, contributed research-based best practices on family involvement in the curriculum. Family Connections resources are available for print or online.
- Innovative approaches in FSPK incorporate current research based instruction for literacy included in the National Early Literacy Panel and Beyond, 2013. In addition, the instructional models in FSPK target strategies to ensure long term memory, alertness, and information processing based on brain science research. FSPK also incorporates STEM education, an approach to teaching and learning that integrates the content and skills of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- FSPK provides innovative technology for students with Frog Street Pre-K Interactive Software which contains over 100 Spanish and English activities in phonological awareness, alphabet knowledge, written expression, listening comprehension, vocabulary development and math skills and concepts. Software activities align with weekly instruction for sustained practice of skills. Learning extends to the home with eBooks of all the literature titles in FSPK.
- Innovative technology for teachers offers online resources which include interactive lesson planning, teacher guides and eBooks. The FSPK Digital Online Library guides instruction and is easily accessible from computers, tablets, and smartphones.
Frog Street Press, Inc. is focused on high quality instruction and materials in the field of early childhood. Frog Street Pre-K was developed by early childhood experts in every domain of development to create an intentional and integrated curriculum.
To learn more about our MSDE approved curriculum,
contact us today!